A Few of My Favorite Things

I had to chuckle when I read the responses (via e-mail) from some of you about me writing a blog.  One wrote "very ambitious of you", another mentioned how tired it made her feel just thinking of it - that keeping her home clean was hard enough.  Housework, moi? This photo is of some laundry that has been sitting on this bench for almost a week now.  It's not too difficult to pick up a pile of folded towels and put them away in the bathroom cabinet, is it.  Must be for me. I rest my case.















So, how to start a blog?  I have no flippin' idea.  How about some of my favorite things ... because I'm sure you're dying know.  Hum ....

1.  "Firmin" by Sam Savage - it is an easy read about a rat born in a bookstore in Boston.  He is born into a litter of 13 babies with a mama with only 12 tits (I am not being naughty, this is a proper terminology, I hope).  Firmin is the runt who gets pushed away from nursing by his siblings so he turns to eating books for substance.  The words from the book are absorbed in his brain and presto-chango, Firmin thinks like a human and loves to read.  It's an adult book because of some subject matter but it is delightful, sad and for goodness sakes, it's about a rat. I loved it.

2.  masterpieceyourself.com  What fun!  Can anyone with a Mac tell me how to downsize my photos so I can do this website because I want to be the Girl with the Pearl Earring.

3.  Solar garden balls at Home Depot.  I think they are cool.  Yellow colored swirled globes on stakes whose solar panels soak up the sun to generate a light show when the sky gets dark.  The colors continuously change, red, green and blue.  They remind me of Christmas colors, but I love watching them glow all the same. And the added bonus!  The globes are pretty in the day AND they are cheap in price but don't look it.

4.  Toad Hollow 2007 Unoaked Chardonnay.  Mendocino County, Francine's Selection.  Well, Francine has excellent taste buds.   This is the smoothest Chardonnay I have ever tasted.  The label is charming... a drawing of a country squire looking toad with a yellow vest and a walking stick holding up a glass of wine.  Bonus... on sale at Safeway.

5.  I recycle almost all of my catalogs now with the exception of Anthropologie and Sundance and anything with guy stuff on it because Fletch will have a cow if I do.  When I saw the cover of Cambria Cove it reached out and touched me - like the phone commercial or the Depeche Mode song (remember Lisa?)  I bought my mom several birthday gifts which she probably won't use but I would if some one sent them to me.  cambriacove.com.  Check it out, beautiful things that make nice gifts.

6.  This may be a new favorite thing... a keratin treatment to relax my hair.  I had it done today. The challenge is to keep my hair dry for the next 3 days.  No sweating, no rain, no shower, no hair clips or hair bands. The trick is to stay cool in this sweltering, humid day and not far from a hair dryer and flat iron till Monday afternoon.   I will let you know how it goes and if it is worth the money and trouble.
(Post Script - it's not)


Comments

Popular Posts