The Rock of Cashel Sept. 5, 2009



What an amazing place, my favorite so far. The St. Patrick cross is housed here in the museum and is quite different than the traditional Celtic cross you see in the photos. Our tour guide was informative and engaging, you could imagine all that transpired in this rocky stronghold that has a cathedral, chapel, round tower, dormitory and cemetery all dating back as early as the 4th century. Most of the history is tragic with the battle between the Catholics and the Protestants. The bright spot in the dark past of Cashel is the path it paved for Arthur Guinness to brew his famous beer.

Comments

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I am sorry to here about all of the rain, but you are experienced travelers and know how to manage all of this wettness. I didn't get your email, Shelly. The page was empty and I didn't see an attachment line. If you saved it, could you try again? We've been at the lake, but home now. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know all these incredible pictures are making me eat my heart out. I should have traveled more before I got married and got kids. Well 10 years and the kids can be kicked into being grownups and I'll be 62. That's not too old to travel, is it?! It just seems like your trip was so magical Shelly. Like a good book being read by cozy fireplace. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts