Et bon appetit!

Several years ago, I read the book "My Life in France" by Alex Prud'homme (who is Paul Child's grandnephew). The book is about Julia Child's life in France and rise to a successful author, cook and television icon. Of course, with the Julia Child movie "Julie and Julia" in the threatre, there is much chatter and written words about the movie and the life's of the two women it represents. I am blogging about Julia because I went and saw the movie yesterday with my 84 year old mother-in-law who felt the same way I did about the film. The whole film should have been about Julia Child. She was inspirational and an amazing woman. Julie, on the other hand, appeared to be self absorbed and childish, a train wreck which most of us can identify with. We want to be inspired to be creative and productive humans, like Julia.... "seize the day", sort of attitude. After I read "My Life in France", I had to have a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking for my library. Fletch and I scoured Ebay and finally found a first edition in lovely condition. It doesn't appear the original owner used the book but I have not either. So, inspired by the "Julia" part of the movie, I brought my copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking off of my dusty bookshelf into my kitchen for studying and eventually, preparing a Julia Child recipe. What I did want to share with those of you who read my blog is the first sentence in the forward of "Mastering" by the 3 Escole des Gourmandes ladies. It is such a delightful sentence, full of wit and humor, I'd like to think it was written by Julia herself.

This is a book for the servantless American cook who can be unconcerned on occasion with budgets. waistlines, time schedules, children's meals, the parent-chauffeur-den-mother syndrome, or anything else which might interfere with the enjoyment of producing something wonderful to eat.

Whew! Not much has changed since 1961 :)

Comments

Popular Posts