Home is where my heart is




"Home is where the heart is", but what if your heart is divided? That's me with the braids and the missing front tooth(please check out my other blog, A Rule of Thumb for the dish on the hairdo). The adorable little boy with a cracker in one hand and toy truck in the other,is my brother, Jeff. Jeff left this earth when he was only 23. The other boy, who was equally adorable but tormented my life, is my brother, Steve. Vicki is wearing the checked full skirted dress, Danielle has the downward glance and baby in her arms. The baby screaming into Vicki's ear, is Cindy. These are 3 of my 4 sisters. Four years later, there would be another addition, Lisa. Lisa and I are the only siblings who do not live in the state of California. Lisa chose to live in Arizona, I in Maui. I just returned from visiting my family. When I arrived back to Maui, my heart was heavy for several days. This is always the case but this time my heart felt like an anchor. On this particular visit I had to deal with the rapid aging of my parents and the hospitalization of my father. But also on this visit, I celebrated beginnings; the pending marriage of my niece by attending her wedding shower. I worshiped at my sister's church honoring the Easter season, the rising of our Savior. I gathered with my family to share food and drink and conversation, although much of our conversation stemmed around my parents. Birth and death, and everything in between, these are the moments in time which make a family, a family. I am home now, the physical home where my dogs come to greet me when I drive up to the gate, where my sons can visit and feel like they never left, where I do chores, where I garden, where I curl up on the couch with my husband and watch a movie, where I live my life. California and Maui divides my heart but whichever state I am flying to, I am flying home.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts